AngryDems.com

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 6 10:27:37 PST 2002

Gordon Fitch wrote:

> the sort of
> Kaiserreich[1] which America is developing into. Has developed
> into.

I would like to see this developed with more than merely a visual image. We need a term for "ruthless authoritarianism" which does _not_ carry the excess baggage that "nazi" and "fascist" carry. This might be it. I don't know as much early 20th century German history as I would like, but clearly it was both authoritarian _and_ offered quite a bit of leeway. Max Weber could be pretty nasty about William II without being sent to a concentration camp. Also the left party cooperated fully with the Kaiser when the chips were down in 1914, which (gestures to the contrary) is what the DP is doing now.

Carrol