Uncle Remus or Herman Melville & 9/11

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Nov 7 14:21:34 PST 2002

At 4:52 PM -0500 11/7/02, Gordon Fitch wrote:
>Carrol Cox:
>> A year ago I proposed the tarbaby as an image of the possible fate of
>> the U.S. War on Terror. I did not know that Edward Said and others had
>> already proposed (as mentioned in the current issue of the LRB) a more
>> powerful analogy: 9/11 and its perpetrators as the Moby Dick, U.S.
>> imperialism as Ahab. "America [has embarked] unchecked on another heroic
>> venture: a worldwide geological survey for whatever still has the power
>> to cross or terrify her, followed by massive excavations and
>> uprootings." May that heroic venture be as disastrous as was Ahab's.
>
>What boat d'ye think you're on, Ishmael?

Remember that Ishmael survives, buoyed by Queequeg's coffin and rescued by the Rachel, which came in search of its lost sailor-children. It's everyone else on the Pequod who goes down with Ahab.

No shortage of Ishmaels in the USA today; it's the real-world counterpart of the Rachel that is missing, making the analogy incomplete. -- Yoshie