Al-Q Honcho Hit

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Fri Nov 8 00:09:31 PST 2002

Justin wrote:
> Even if we can't rely on the institutions we've got,

You know as well as (nay, better than) I do that we can't.

> why escalate to murder to start with?

Perhaps a trial followed by imprisonment would've been preferable. Contra Bill's fantasies about leftist afire with glee over the execution of five Al Qaeda militants, I take no pleasure in anyone's death. However, can you imagine the incentive for hostage taking that would be created if the US detained an Al Qaeda leader for an extended period of time?

BTW, Bill, your desire to see the likes of Dennis, Woj, and presumably myself as well imprisoned is truly Orwellian. Would that thought crimes were enough to bring down the boot of the state on the necks of its subjects!

-- Luke