Al-Q Honcho Hit

billbartlett at dodo.com.au billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Fri Nov 8 23:02:31 PST 2002

At 12:09 AM -0800 8/11/02, Luke Weiger wrote:

> > why escalate to murder to start with?
>
>Perhaps a trial followed by imprisonment would've been preferable. Contra
>Bill's fantasies about leftist afire with glee over the execution of five Al
>Qaeda militants, I take no pleasure in anyone's death. However, can you
>imagine the incentive for hostage taking that would be created if the US
>detained an Al Qaeda leader for an extended period of time?
>
>BTW, Bill, your desire to see the likes of Dennis, Woj, and presumably
>myself as well imprisoned is truly Orwellian.

Better than saying you should be murdered, to avoid a fuss. I wouldn't advocate you should be murdered. While declaring that I take no pleasure in it. My assertion that those inciting murder should be imprisoned may not appeal to you, it may be wrong, it may even be dangerous. But it isn't Owellian, it is calling a spade a spade, speaking plainly - which is the opposite of Orwellian in the usual sense of that expression.

> Would that thought crimes
>were enough to bring down the boot of the state on the necks of its
>subjects!

Thought crimes are indeed punishable by law, for example a hate crime is often subject to more severe punishment than the same act carried out for different motivation. Incitement to murder is not (necessarily) a "thought" crime. It isn't about what you think, but what you say. (Though why you say it, may make it a thought crime. For example if you are inciting others to murder a class of people based on the intended victims' cultural, racial or religious etc. background, then such incitement is made much more serious by the evil thoughts which motivate it.)

Murder motivated by racial hatred is thus a more serious crime than murder otherwise motivated, because of the thought behind it. Seems fair enough to me, who would deny that the racist motivation makes the crime a far more deadly one?

Matter of fact, our local nut is in the news again today. The well-known Launceston anti-semitic campaigner Olga Scully has today been back to the Federal Court, fighting against a finding that her dissemination of anti-semitic propaganda is unlawful under the Racial Discrimination Act and an order that she desist. The senile old cow has been stuffing letter boxes with crude leaflets for years. That sort of thing is on the increase though and it needs to be stamped out. My daughter saw some skin-head hanging an anti-immigrant banner from an overpass on her way to work just the other day.

Jews and immigrants shouldn't have to put up with that sort of crap. If you think it is OK to simply murder people who suspect are thinking of committing a crime, I can see why you might object to imprisoning those who merely advocate murder. But its way beyond my tolerance, you don't even have to go that far to deserve imprisonment in my book. I've come to the conclusion that even those who merely advocate philosophies which can be reasonably expected to lead to suffering, such as racists, should be imprisoned. Never mind those who blatantly incite murder, like you and Wojak.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas