Richard Maybury/Uncle Eric

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Nov 7 23:10:36 PST 2002

Does anyone know anything about this fellow? My right wing father gave me his book "The Thousand Year War in the Mideast" and "Uncle Eric" book. It looks like it might be self-published and is written in epistelary form. And while there are certainly some key things in here I would never think or say, I was surprised to the extent that it was not completely stupid. It seems like a kind of a paleoconservative isolationism, and like a lot of that stuff, it contains some brisk descriptions of US foreign policy catastrophes that usually fall down the memory hole. Anyway, he claims to have written a dozen other books on an absurdly broad range of topics, and I was just wondering if elsewhere he reveals himself to be such a knave or fool no one would ever want to be caught saying anything nice about him, or whether he's just another weird floating autodidact who's smarter than you'd expect and doesn't quite fit in.

Michael