A Reminder

Lance Murdoch MurdochLance at netscape.net
Thu Nov 7 23:23:52 PST 2002

> Don't think the Mafia or even the IRA (to cite two flawed comparisons to al-Q) ever went this far.

The IRA going as far as what? The English sending the paramilitaries into Derry on January 30, 1972 and shooting 13 unarmed people dead? This slaughter continued for the next several decades (as it had been going on for decades, and centuries beforehand).

Wednesday 1 March 1972 Two Catholic teenagers were shot dead by the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) while 'joy riding' in a stolen car in Belfast.

Saturday 22 April 1972 Francis Rowntree, an 11 year-old Catholic boy, was killed by a 'rubber bullet' fired by the British Army. [This was the first death to result from the use of the rubber bullet baton round.]

Sunday 14 May 1972 A 13 year old Catholic girl was shot dead by Loyalist paramilitaries in Ballymurphy, Belfast.

Sunday 2 July 1972 Two Catholic civilians were shot and killed by Loyalist paramilitaries, probably the Ulster Defence Association (UDA), in Belfast.

Sunday 9 July 1972 Five Catholic civilians were shot dead by the British Army in the Ballymurphy area of Belfast.

And I could continue onwards from 1972, luckily the bomb thrown at the schoolchildren in Ardoyne last year did not kill any of them, though it certainly wasn't very nice. There have been plenty of children mowed down by the British Army for the crime of being Catholic and running through the street like children in Northern Ireland. How come we don't hear about how far the English army goes, why doesn't that raise your ire? I guess the Catholics trying to defend themselves against Ian Paisley, the RUC, the paramilitaries, the B-Specials, the Black and Tans and the British Army are the "bad guys" while the noble English soldier who has had to carry the white man's burden around the world are the "good guy" in your book.

The only condemnation I have of the PIRA is that when they bombed the Grand Hotel in 1984 during the Tory convention, they were unsuccessful in their attempt to kill that bitch Margaret Thatcher.

__________________________________________________________________ The NEW Netscape 7.0 browser is now available. Upgrade now! http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp