Economist hit on Naomi Klein

eric dorkin eric_dorkin at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 8 11:00:42 PST 2002

With all due respect Doug, you answered exactly why The E is popular. IF I read the WSJ, the NYT and the FT on a daily, I would be unemployed, but I could read The E on the bus on the way to work and get a very good summary of the meaningful news as perceived by Capital.....

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:Jeet Heer wrote:

>Interesting. Why do you think the Economist sucks? It has a reputation,
>like the Wall Street Journal's news section, for being a great publication
>that reports honestly on how capitalism really works. Is this over-inflated?
>I've personally never found it to be that great, and am curious why it
>enjoys its high repute.

I find that if I read the papers during the week - the NYT, WSJ, and FT, to name names - there's little new in the Economist. Sure they do something useful and interesting now and then, but mostly it strikes me as just a lot of attitude. A letter writer once described the mag (which calls itself a newspaper, for some reason) as offering tomorrow's conventional wisdom today, but I think even that's too generous.

James Fallows had a very nice piece on the Washington Post a few years ago on the American cult of The Economist - it appealed to insecure Americans who just loved that dose of English snobbery and know-it-all-ism. Yawn.

Doug