the waves say...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Nov 8 16:04:28 PST 2002

My nutty gurus at the Elliott Wave Theorist <http://www.elliottwave.com> say that the strong move upwards in U.S. stocks is over, and the exciting third wave of the bear market is about to begin. In Elliottworld, major trend moves break down into five waves, up, down, up, down, up. The first upwave is when it all gets started; it can be strong, but it's usually met with skepticism. The third wave is usually the strongest, and when the "point of recognition" comes - a broad recognition of the major trend. And the fifth wave is the decadent one - the time when the trend is old news. In the third wave of a bear market, you see massive anxiety - insolvencies, panics, a time when finance savagely hammers the real world (and vice versa). We'll see...

Doug