More on the reverse Sokal

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Sun Nov 10 11:43:28 PST 2002

> Also, the work of these two...well, these two whatever-they-are is
> in *theoretical* physics, and my impression is that even the best of
> these folk are regarded with suspicion by their experimental peers.

in addition, there are the elders amongst the __theoretical__ particle physics community who also are suspicious of string theories (plural!!!).

> Is there any result of "string theory," for example, that so far has
> admitted of experimental verification?

none.

string theories, in so far as they are "valid", can be shown to be __consistent__ to predictions of standard model theories, and have the additional "nice" feature that gravity might be pulled in under the quantum umbrella.

there is always some excitement generated when the string theorists __suggest__ that the unification energy might be lower than previously thought, as that would allow at least __some__ form of experimental verification to occur sooner rather than later in the future.

les schaffer