Fw: Nosedive: The Democrats the Day After

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Nov 10 15:54:22 PST 2002

s-t-t at juno.com wrote:

>So how does this work on the flipside for, say, the fundis? The party
>they'd hitched their lot to (those that still pursue electoral means) has
>Capital Hill. You've said that the "anti-globo" left could flourish in
>the Clinton era because it was clear that's all we're gonna get from the
>two-party state. Couldn't the same occur for the theocratic right now
>that the Repugs rule?

Dunno. My first reaction is to say they get more - there are some real cretins in charge now - but on the other hand abortion is still legal (though more & more that's a technicality), divorce is normal, and there are queers all over the place. Weyrich said that the impeachment resolution convinced him that there wasn't a moral majority after all, and his kind should just secede from the larger society as much as possible. I don't know what that gang is saying now.

Doug