Fw: Nosedive: The Democrats the Day After

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Nov 10 20:42:06 PST 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Of course the Dems are never going to challenge capitalism or
> imperialism - they're an integral part of it. But it's braindead or
> dishonest not to acknowledge the difference between the two parties. We
> would probably not be on the verge of war with Iraq right now with a Dem
> president, nor would there have been a trillion dollar tax cut for the
> country club set. Under the Dems, you'd get slightly better enviro
> regulation, less cretinous judges, and a friendlier environment for
> union organizing. And it's much easier to do radical politics when the
> Dems are in power - you can point to how little has changed under them
> and say it's the system, not the gang in charge.
>
> As I've said before, I think Slavoj Zizek is right that the time to make
> the no-difference argument is when the more liberal party is in power.
> Not now, with some truly frightening ghouls running the show.

Perhaps the current set of ghouls just demonstrates that there are occasions when there is a little difference between parties, but most of the time these days there is little difference. I'm sure I don't need to trot out all of the Republican stuff that Clinton did over his 8 years, including wars, welfare reforms, and the Telecom Act of 1996.

The Democrats and Republicans are way to the right of similar parties around the world. In my book, it's like making a choice between being killed by firing squad or being killed by an IV injection. The best option is to not play the game.

Like most Americans. ;-P

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)