A query about France

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Mon Nov 11 21:32:59 PST 2002

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 at 6:02pm Doug Henwood wrote:

> andie nachgeborenen wrote:
>
> >Why is French union density so low, and why does it
> >have a social democratic welfare state despite that,
> >which, if we had it, would make us think thatthe
> >revolution was over and we'd won? jks
>
> I think French unions had/have low membership, but
> negotiate on behalf of a much larger share of the
> workforce than accounted for by their membership. Or
> used to.

what do you mean "used to"? they just shrtened their workweek, what, 5 years ago, after large nationwide strikes? but then, the general strikes (or even targeted sympathy strikes) aren't illegal there...

that can do a lot for solidarity w/o even being employed, never mind the memeber of the/a union.

-- no Onan