Louis XVI and the U.S. Embassy Hostages in Iran

Bradford DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 12 09:39:33 PST 2002

>On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Bradford DeLong wrote:
>
>> After all, were the other European monarchs trying to do Louis XVI a
>> favor when they declared war on the Convention?
>
>They were, actually. You're quite right that it had the opposite effect
>and they should have known it would. But that might just show that some
>forms of stupidity have been around since the dawn of modern revolution.
>
>Michael

Really! I guess I need to read more things...

All of my history books handy--Lefebvre, Palmer, Schama, and company--take a very internal view of the French Revolution...

And the twelve-year-old has snarfed _The Age of Napoleon_ and taken it to school to read when he gets bored in class...

So I guess it's time for a trip to the library.

Brad DeLong