"a lot of world to subjugate" (from www.maxspeak.org)

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Wed Nov 13 07:01:12 PST 2002

MaxSpeak, we listen: In short, imperial overstretch is now on the agenda. I heard one commentator suggest that going by historic ratios, it would be reasonable for the U.S. to have thirty million persons under arms, as opposed to one and a half million. There's a lot of world to subjugate.

What the empire builders fail to appreciate is the dissent of the governed, here and abroad. Encouraged by the newest generation of weapons, they reduce everything to military force. They think a compliant press, a cowering UN, and 52 senators are a lever that can move the world. I think not. ----- This maybe true, but I doubt it. If it is it would be thanks to Osama. People seem to forget that Bush repeatedly said he was against nation-building during the 2000 campaign and Rumsfeld echoed this up until September 2001. Also, I'm skeptical of those who once predicted either that Bush was going to starve Afghanistan into submission or that the heroic Afghan fighters would do unto the Allies what they did to the Soviets.

Speaking of the Soviets, since the Cold War is over maybe the hyperpower can risk a little overreach.

Peter