Anarchism Defined? (was Re: Village Voice: Abandon Democrats and join the anarchists)

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Wed Nov 13 10:06:27 PST 2002

Nathan Newman wrote:
> >We could learn a lot from the Jehovah Witnesses. And they sure do the door
> >knocking I think the left should do more of.

Doug Henwood:
> But it's weird and cultlike and they believe a load of nonsense. Do
> you want to be more like tthat?

Is this what enables them to knock on doors? I've wondered from time to time. I've heard that the Jehovah's Witnesses were the one group hunted by the Nazis who absolutely refused to cooperate at all. (They were pacifists and therefore extermination material by Nazi standards.) Sometimes, put in front of a firing squad, they would start preaching the word to the soldiers who were about to kill them. They may be dumb and silly, but I have to respect that kind of courage and resolution, so much greater than my own.

-- Gordon