academic freedom at Harvard

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Nov 13 15:47:35 PST 2002

Michael Perelman wrote:

>How much is Summers acting out of conviction and how much not to upset
>contributors to the poor little Harvard Endowment?

The board of the Harvard Corporation (are there any universities besides Yale & Harvard that call their governing body the Corporation?) surely knew what they were getting when they hired Summers. If they didn't know he was a rude egomaniac they weren't reading the papers. If they just wanted some smooth patrician to ooze over rich alums they would have hired someone else.

Speaking of Summers, I heard that he was going out for a while with right-wing hottie (now fairly obscure?) Laura Ingraham.

Doug