Race, Class, & Supermarkets

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Wed Nov 13 15:54:50 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Rickling" <rickling at softhome.net>

> > ====================
> >
> > Busted the union to go "public"
> >
> > Ian
>
> You sure you're not thinking about the Safeway and KKR episode? (Safeway
> remains union today, current efforts to exact yet another pound of flesh
> from its employees in Chicago notwithstanding).
>
> mark

It was '94-'96 when Giant went after the Teamsters. When I talked to the folks on the picket line to -among other things- get tips for the campaign I was working on, they told me the company was trying to get out from all the cba's with all its unions in order to win over Wall Street. I left the DC area after the campaign I was on got hammered with legislation paid for with our wages so I didn't get to see how the mess at Giant turned out. When did Giant finally go public?

Ian