Race, Class, & Supermarkets

Mark Rickling rickling at softhome.net
Wed Nov 13 16:49:47 PST 2002

From: Ian Murray <seamus2001 at attbi.com>

> It was '94-'96 when Giant went after the Teamsters. When I talked to the
> folks on the picket line to -among other things- get tips for the campaign
> was working on, they told me the company was trying to get out from all
the
> cba's with all its unions in order to win over Wall Street. I left the DC
> area after the campaign I was on got hammered with legislation paid for
with
> our wages so I didn't get to see how the mess at Giant turned out. When
did
> Giant finally go public?

I don't know much about that fight. Giant, however, was bought out by Ahold in 1998. I'm pretty sure that Giant was a publicly traded corporation prior to that. Both the drivers and warehouse workers in Giant's distribution system in the DC area are still Teamsters (as well as the "new-economy" Peapod online grocery delivery drivers).

mark