Lerner: condemn Palestinian terror

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Nov 13 20:57:59 PST 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Liza Featherstone wrote:

> I wish the righteous rabbi would have pointed out that many Arabs in
> neighboring villages attended the funeral for the victims -- whose
> (leftist) kibbutz had a close relationship with its Palestinian
> neighbors -- and did condemn the killings.

He did actually, he just didn't it write it clearly:

> P.P.S. And as Ha'aretz points out in its editorial, there is still a
> sign of hope. Even at the most difficult times, Metzer members received
> their friends from the neighboring Arab villages of Kafin and Meisar
> (whose children attend joint activities with the kibbutz children) and
> did not alter their opinion that it is possible to have peaceful
> neighborly relations based on dialogue and agreement.

"at the most difficult times" means they received them while sitting shiva in mourning, which is the important thing for Jews. The funeral itself has to be done before sundown according to Jewish law (and muslim law, btw) so it's often necessarily a rushed affair that people often can't get to. The rest of the sentence implies that bonds between Metzer and the Arab villages are completely unbroken. And the Haaretz editorial which he appends makes clear that this is the most important thing; it returns to end on this note.

Admittedly, Lerner could have made this clearer and more prominent. But he looks to have written it in quite an impassioned rush.

Michael