academic freedom at Harvard

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Wed Nov 13 20:58:27 PST 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 at 6:16pm / dave / wrote:

> And speaking of TV hosts, another one Doug can look
> forward to each week (in addition to O'Reilly) is likely
> to be Jesse Ventura, who is purportedly on the verge of
> inking a deal with MSNBC to do his own talk show -
> possibly taking the place of the flailing Phil Donahue
> during prime time.
>
> Undoubtedly he will provide ample fodder for derision
> and amusement, but once in awhile he will say something
> so astonishingly sensible that viewers will fall back in
> their chairs, and then everyone will understand what
> we've been going through here in Minnesota. Steve Perry,
> if he's still here, will back me up on this.

hey, that's like listening to o'reilly on the radio. it is not like listening to rush or ollie north who *never* make any sense. o.r. will occasionally astonish you by saying something so straigforwardly and obviously true and right, that you almost swerve off the road into a ditch. but he normally follows up with something so assinine, that your faith in am radio is quickly restored. for example:

o.r. is very good on laws, rules, and social pressure to be brought to bear on "anti-gay" prejudice. they should not be discriminated against in employment, housing, and certainly not beat up on the streets. BUT, he also doesn't appreciate "going out in public and seeing two guys kissing". (esp if a minor child is around)

from the little i know of ventura, he strikes me very much the same way.

-- no Onan