House Passes- Senate Dems Kill Bankruptcy Bill

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Fri Nov 15 17:42:07 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Perelman" <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu>
>> If the Dems are such whores of the credit card industry, why aren't they
>> passing the bill the in the Senate?

>So that they can get more money from the backers next year.

Well, prostitution where the Johns never get sex sounds like a pretty shitty deal for the clients. Which just supports my theory that this is one case where the corporate class are the ones being jerked around by a party controlled far more by the working class interests opposed to the bill.

And this is a different position than you and others said when the bill passed, since you claimed that it showed the Dems wanted to screw workers and get the bill passed.

More seriously, the fact that politicians shake down corporate interests is obviously true, but that goes against the theory of parties being merely a "wing" of some amorphous corporate class. Politicians in our system are pretty much individual entrepreneurs, putting together voting coalitions and raising funds in complex combinations. The system no doubt encourages many to tactically hand goodies over to the corporate class, but that has little to do with party label but just the nature of running for office.

And all I can note is that the GOP didn't seem to have the interest in shaking down the credit card industry any more.

As I said all along, the Dems knew the abortion provision would kill the bill. And it did.

I've kept bringing the bankruptcy bill up, because all the anti-Dem folks cited it as proof of the Dems enthrallment to the corporate class. It was a test of that proposition and it fit my position and empirical predictions, not yours.

-- Nathan Newman

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu