Dugger Says Fellow Greens Put Bush in Office-- No to Nader Run in 2004

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Nov 16 08:44:24 PST 2002

***** http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20021202&s=dugger

Ralph, Don't Run

by RONNIE DUGGER

[from the December 2, 2002 issue]

...Therefore, I argued, what is needed is an undertaking by the liberals, progressives and populists of the country to challenge the corporation-corrupted leaders of the Democratic Party and their Democratic Leadership Council, to make the party's sellout course since 1978 itself the issue of the Democratic primaries, and to converge behind the nomination of a progressive Democratic candidate for President--be it Congressional Progressive Caucus chair Dennis Kucinich, Russell Feingold, Jan Schakowsky or Jesse Jackson Jr. The point, I said, is to get a strong progressive candidate and to get our forces behind that candidate and a progressive platform. Among many other things, it should include a commitment to have the party fight for instant-runoff voting (IRV), which at one stroke would end the third-party "spoiler" threat to the major parties and would free citizens to vote for their favorite candidates without helping to elect candidates whose views are diametrically opposed to theirs....

...Ralph persists in advancing the view that it does not matter (or does not matter enough to matter) whether a Democrat or a Republican sits in the White House. His position derives much of its energy and plausibility from moral fury against the Democrats who, for example, helped pass the infamous USA Patriot Act and voted to authorize Bush to attack Iraq in a war of aggression that will stain the national escutcheon in history. (When I told Ralph I was writing this article, he said sardonically, "I hope you make the case that Gore would not be as much a warmonger as Bush. And Lieberman.") The pivotal issue, though, is whether we should let this moral fury become blind rage that will help elect Bush in 2004, or whether we can convert it into high-voltage energy for an all-out progressive campaign in the Democratic primaries, such as has not occurred since 1972. ...And we may hope that in the midst of the pressures and dynamics of the next year and a half, we will focus a substantial portion of our energies on securing the Democratic nomination for a true progressive.... *****

That -- focusing "a substantial portion of our energies on securing the Democratic nomination for a true progressive" -- ain't gonna happen, Nader or no Nader, a Green presidential candidate or no Green presidential candidate. Dugger names "Dennis Kucinich, Russell Feingold, Jan Schakowsky or Jesse Jackson Jr." as a possible progressive Democratic candidate for presidency; none is exciting enough to command "a substantial portion" of the energy of activists for Democratic primaries. -- Yoshie