Russia to take nuclear waste "at dumping prices" to undercut comp etition

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Nov 18 00:22:55 PST 2002

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 DoreneFC at aol.com wrote:

> What Rumyantsev would be marketing I think is reprocessing services.
> Offhand I know nothing about the global market for reprocessing

I believe there are only two commercial reprocessing plants in the world right now, Sellafield in the UK and Cogema in France. Sellafield takes fuel from 9 countries and has 12 billion dollars worth of orders, but its parent, British Nuclear Fuel, has been involved in huge scandals over both safety and finances and its biggest customer, Japan, is now developing its plant. It is widely believed that the loss of that trade would push it into bankruptcy.

Michael