Russia to take nuclear waste "at dumping prices" to undercut comp etition

DoreneFC at aol.com DoreneFC at aol.com
Sun Nov 17 22:56:41 PST 2002

Tomorow I will try to look up some citations to back up this comment.

One issue is "proliferation risk," the possibility that different categories of wastes contain plutonium that could be made into weapons or other materials that could be refined into weapons-grade materials more easily than, say, uranium ore.

Another issue is legislation referred to colloquially as Nunn-Lugar. Under this legislation the US provides Russia a fair amount of money to keep key scientists from running off to work for axis of evil countries, to upgrade security for various kinds of Russian nuclear facilities, and I believe to buy up quite of bit of the wastes most likely to pose this "proliferation risk' and bring them back to the good old US of A for "safe disposal" and keeping out of the hands of stray Chechens, Dagestanis, loony Belarussians, al Qaeda operatives, etc ....

What Rumyantsev would be marketing I think is reprocessing services. Offhand I know nothing about the global market for reprocessing, that is how competitive it is and Russia's available capacity and expertise. Assuming sufficient capacity and expertise, a point which at least some parties would be expected to debate, it is not at all obvious to me why Russia would NOT be trying to get world market prices for reprocessing the same way they do for oil and gas UNLESS someone were, for example, getting testy about the paternalistic overtones of Nunn-Lugar. Or maybe Russia needs to upgrade capacity and is trying not to get cut out of the market.

Other point to look at: who besides France and probably some of Eastern Europe sends wastes to Russia anyway?

Now, for some citations, as soon as I have time to look.

DoreneC