the 'new' colonialism

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Tue Nov 19 03:29:58 PST 2002

From: andie nachgeborenen:
>Actually England itself in the period of colonialism was a riot of
>corruption, cruelty, and exploitation at home as well as abroad. "I
>wandered thru each charter'd street . . . . " jks

One is appalled by descriptions of London life provided by Gareth Steadman-Jones in his book Outcaste London. But I didn't know about corruption in England.

Satyajit Ray's film Shatranjke Khiladi (Chess Players) is a good portrait of the relationship between British East India Company and Indian feudalism in the 1850s.

Ulhas