the 'new' colonialism

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Nov 19 16:38:52 PST 2002

>Yoshie:
>> According to Susan Bayly, however, India's caste system, too, is of
>> the modern origin:
>>
>> ***** Caste, Society and Politics in India: From the Eighteenth
>> Century to the Modern Age
>>
>> Susan Bayly
>
>As far as I know, Indian castes are usually described as a system of
>hierarchical endogamous social division. Prohibition on intermarriages
>between members belonging to different castes in a tribal society has been
>taken as the essential nature of caste system. Indian caste system has
>undergone changes in different epoches (feudal, colonial and contemporary
>India) and has been put to different uses, but castes seem to have
>originated in Ancient times. See Marxist historian D.D. Kosambi's work, The
>Culture and Civilization of Ancient India in Historical Outline.
>
>Ulhas

I will look up Kosambi's work as you suggested. I still think, though, that what's interesting is transformation of social relations, rather than the use of the same terms in reference to social groups. We use the same term -- slaves -- to refer to slaves in ancient Greece and slaves in antebellum America, but the former and the latter did not occupy the same structural location vis-a-vis the rest of society. -- Yoshie