the 'new' colonialism

billbartlett at dodo.com.au billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Wed Nov 20 23:27:59 PST 2002

Ulhas Joglekar wrote:

>Prohibition on intermarriages
>between members belonging to different castes in a tribal society has been
>taken as the essential nature of caste system.

As I understand it, tribal societies usually have rigorous protocols on intermarriage between component clans. Such a system is designed to minimise in-breeding in small tribal populations.

But clans are not analogous to castes, as I understand caste. So this suggestion, that castes originated in ancient times, would be quite misleading.

> Indian caste system has
>undergone changes in different epoches (feudal, colonial and contemporary
>India) and has been put to different uses, but castes seem to have
>originated in Ancient times. See Marxist historian D.D. Kosambi's work, The
>Culture and Civilization of Ancient India in Historical Outline.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas