Oscenese (was Re: 4th amendment, cars)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 23 07:35:17 PST 2002

We don't know anything about the search, so we don't know if there was anything legally or otherwise disturbing about that. Compare: police found the gun used in several of the DC sniper murders in the car with two suspects. Does simply "finding something in a car" signal "Fourth Amendment violation"? I think not. What's obscene, ahem, about this story is that people are still being prosecuted under absurd obscenity statutes. The woman had sex aids in her car. She wasn't distributing them to schoolchildren. They were presumably intended for the use of consenting adults. And she got busted. That's fucking outrageous. jks

Kevin Robert Dean <qualiall at union.org.za> wrote:Yup...Here we go again with car searches vs the 4th Amendment...sad really...

By JOHN LYNCH WHITE OAK — A Longview woman who sells sex toys has been charged with felony obscenity after White Oak police found some of her wares in her car during a traffic stop

The arrest report describes the 17 items as "obscene materials and obscene devices," but Police Chief Charlie Smith said the items were mostly lotions and objects defined in a dictionary as having the shape and often the appearance of the male genitalia, used in sexual stimulation.