Contact Information, Etc. Re: Corn transcript

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Nov 23 08:45:46 PST 2002

At 10:17 AM -0600 11/23/02, Peter K. wrote:
> >Peter K. wrote:
>>>(Lynne Stewart seems a bit wacko too).
> >
> >So what? The government spied on her, which is a total fucking outrage.
>>Doug
>
>I don't know the details about that so I can't comment except that
>I'm inclined to believe you're right.

Speaking of Lynne Stewart, the New York Times misrepresented what the "legal left" think of her case in an article by George Packer, "Left Behind" (The New York Times 22 September 2002, Late Edition, Section 6, Page 42) -- here's a correction by Ron Kuby, in case his letter escaped LBO-talkers' attention:

***** The New York Times October 20, 2002, Sunday, Late Edition - Final SECTION: Section 6; Page 16; Column 5; Magazine Desk LENGTH: 112 words HEADLINE: Left Behind BODY: I was deeply disappointed to see my reflections on the legal profession lifted out of context and used by George Packer to support the untrue proposition that the "legal left" has abandoned Lynne Stewart. While I and many leftist attorneys reject Islamism as a national liberation movement, we are unanimous in condemning Attorney General Ashcroft's claim that Stewart intentionally aided terrorism by providing a conduit for her client to speak to the press. Stewart has faced these charges in the same way she has conducted her law practice: with courage and determination. I am proud to stand with her.

Ronald L. Kuby New York http://www.nytimes.com

LOAD-DATE: October 20, 2002 ***** -- Yoshie