AC nails Cooper perfectly

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Mon Nov 25 08:40:37 PST 2002

My recollection is that the first big anti-war demo was organized by SDS, not the SWP.

The latter was more like one-half or maybe 60 percent of the really big mobilizations in later years. The rest was a huge coalition anchored in the CP-USA.

Then there was the cosmically cool mass civil disobedience of Mayday, 1971, which neither the SWP nor the CP instigated. Nor do I think either was involved in levitating the Pentagon, another very early action. It is amusing to imagine what D. Henwood thought of those events, at the time.

mbs

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Nathan Newman Sent: Monday, November 25, 2002 10:58 AM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: AC nails Cooper perfectly

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alex LoCascio" <alexlocascio at mail.com>

>I suspect it deeply pains you to ever have to confess that Marxists, and
that dreaded sub-group, the >"authoritarian" (gasp!) Leninists have ever contributed anything productive to any movement, anywhere.

I have no problem giving the SWP full credit for a movement that, despite majority opposition to the war by mid-1968, was unable to stop the war for another five years, and in fact saw the war expand to Cambodia and Laos, including mass near-genocide bombings in Cambodia in 1973.

If that is the model of success promised by sectarian-led movements, then my opposition to the WWP is just further validated.

-- Nathan Newman