AC nails Cooper perfectly

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Nov 25 08:09:35 PST 2002

Nathan Newman wrote:

>I have no problem giving the SWP full credit for a movement that, despite
>majority opposition to the war by mid-1968, was unable to stop the war for
>another five years, and in fact saw the war expand to Cambodia and Laos,
>including mass near-genocide bombings in Cambodia in 1973.
>
>If that is the model of success promised by sectarian-led movements, then my
>opposition to the WWP is just further validated.

You're asking a lot. If the criteria of success for a movement is to stop a major imperialist war in a short time, nothing less than a successful revolution would do the trick. The antiwar movement had broad effects - it scared the ruling class and raised the cost of future imperialist ventures. It was part of a political and cultural transformation that's one of the reasons that the U.S. is "a vastly more civilized place than it was 40 years ago." You cut Nancy Pelosi more slack.

Doug