AC nails Cooper perfectly

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Nov 25 10:03:38 PST 2002

Max B. Sawicky wrote:
> My recollection is that the first big anti-war demo
> was organized by SDS, not the SWP.
>
> The latter was more like one-half or maybe 60 percent
> of the really big mobilizations in later years. The
> rest was a huge coalition anchored in the CP-USA.
>
> Then there was the cosmically cool mass civil
> disobedience of Mayday, 1971, which neither the
> SWP nor the CP instigated. Nor do I think either
> was involved in levitating the Pentagon, another
> very early action. It is amusing to imagine what
> D. Henwood thought of those events, at the time.
>
> mbs

I think if we really pursue this thread, it will turn out that the SWP was really just another part of the anti-war movement, not some big mover and shaker.

Many of the official left histories of the period put way too much emphasis on groups dominated by white college activists. They tend to ignore the numerous anti-war groups that were organized by people of color. They underestimate the activism done by religious groups and people. Most importantly, they underemphasize the amount of resistance to the war that was organized by soldiers themselves.

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)