Be realistic, demand the impossible

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 25 10:07:54 PST 2002

Well, I don't agree with your slander of the Vietnam War movement. You blame it for not taking on the US government and not winning on its own terms. You haven't done better, lieber Kamerad. That's a very hard task. The movement went from meetings in living rooms in 65 to a mass movement that brought down a President, stopped another from escalating to nuclear weapons (though it didn't know this), and energized and transformed our society in lots of ways. By your criterion, almost every mass movement in history has been a failure. the civil rights movement--hell, 50 years after Brown, the schools are still segregated. The union movement--110 years after Homestead, private union density is down to less than 10%. The anti-nuclear movements--we still have tens of thousands of warheadsa nd no ABM treaty. The women's suffrage movement, took 70 years from Senaca Falls. The Chartists--utter failures, their objectives (universal manhood suffrage and parlaimentary reform) were not

attained till all of them were dead.

You think of yourself a practical-minded realsit as opposedto us dizzy-headed roamntics, but you have nbo real conception of what it takestoa tatin anything. Consequently you lower your sights to what can be attained by "progressive Democrats." Tell me, Nathan, how does _that_ strategy fare by your standards? Is Pelosi gonna even try to stop the war, or has she done her bit?

jks