AC nails Cooper perfectly

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Mon Nov 25 14:43:24 PST 2002

Hi,

As someone who worked in the back office (mimeograph machine, publicity, logitics) in DC helping organize some national antiwar marches on Washington in the early 1970s, it is certainly my memory (backed by files and notes) that the two major national coalitions were under the broad auspices of the SWP and the CP. The CP coalition (PCPJ for one event) also included groups such as the War Resisters League and the Vietnam Veterans Against the War. The SWP coalition was almost exclusively a collection of their many front groups. The CP-allied coalition was actually much broader (although chock-a-block with CP "fronts").

It was the CP and SWP that largely provided the national infrastructure for the large national demonstrations. Meanwhile, out in the field, there were many different groups and coalitions. SDS briefly played a role at the beginning, but soon faded. Groups such as the National Student Association and church-based peace groups were involved. Alternative media such as College Press Service, Liberation News Service, and Dispatch News Service International spread the word--I worked with all three as a writer or editor or syndicator.

-Chip Berlet