Inspect This (@ maxspeak.org)

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Mon Nov 25 07:58:54 PST 2002

My reply on my blog at: http://www.nathannewman.org/log/archives/000592.shtml#000592

Bush Aide: US Will Ignore UN For the arrogance and lies of the Bush administration, see this description of top Bush defense advisor, Richard Perle, speaking to a UK political conference, where he said the US would go to war even if inspectors found no evidence of forbidden weapons:

GEORGE Bush's top security adviser last night admitted the US would attack Iraq even if UN inspectors fail to find weapons.

Dr Richard Perle stunned MPs by insisting a "clean bill of health" from UN chief weapons inspector Hans Blix would not halt America's war machine.

And our allies in Britain were not amused to find that Bush might ignore international law and the UN.

Former defence minister and Labour backbencher Peter Kilfoyle said: "America is duping the world into believing it supports these inspections. President Bush intends to go to war even if inspectors find nothing.

"This make a mockery of the whole process and exposes America's real determination to bomb Iraq."

Max pointed out this statement and thinks it proves that war is inevitable. But we already knew the warhawks in the administration wanted to go to war no matter what. What we didn't know is that they are so arrogant that they can't keep their mouths shut about lying to our allies, thereby feeding anti-American mobilization in Europe. Political appointees like Perle may be willing to ignore allies, but it's been clear that the actual military leaders don't think that unilateralism denounced by allies is a safe environment to deploy troops. So arrogant comments like Perle's are exactly the tools needed by progressives to mobilize and divide the establishment to derail the energy for war.

And the left should never buy into the inevitability of war, which Perle's comments are designed to feed, since that feeds a cynical passivity in the population that assists the warhawks. A far better attitude is what the San Francisco Bay Guardian (the alternative weekly) is blaring on their front cover this week.

RESISTANCE IS NOT FUTILE

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, November 25, 2002 8:48 AM Subject: Inspect This (@ maxspeak.org)

***** 11/21/2002 Entry: "INSPECT THIS"

INSPECT THIS. Richard Perle [<http://www.aei.org/scholars/perle.htm>], head of Bush's Defense Policy Board, confirms [<http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/page.cfm?objectid=12377231&method=ful l&siteid=50143>] MaxSpeak's view [<http://maxspeak.org/gm/archives/00000668.html>] of the so-called United Nations' so-called inspection program.

I repeat my challenge to that cock-eyed optimist and legal beagle, Nathan Newman, who thinks the U.N. resolution will thwart invasion plans in the short term. I claim the invasion will jump off no later than next Spring. If I'm correct, NN must post my mug shot on the top of his main page over "MaxSpeak, You Listen!" in 16 point type. If I'm wrong I will endure some similar punishment, to be agreed upon in advance, of course.

Replies: 15 comments....

<http://maxspeak.org/gm/archives/00000690.html> ***** -- Yoshie