Bad guys and burdens of proof (Was H Rap Brown)

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Tue Nov 26 07:33:34 PST 2002

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 at 11:04pm andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> > Anyhow, what's the basis of that challenge? Clearly it
> > is medieval and absurd to stipulate life prison
> > sentences for minor non-violent offenses, but we have
> > already established that California is a state governed
> > by (and presumably populated by as well) deranged cowboy
> > psychos, so this outrage somehow comes as no surprise.
>
> jks. You seem to confuse California with Texas. The
> challenge is that it violates the Eight Amendment
> prohibition on grossly disproprortionate punsihmenr.

Ronald Reagan was not a Texan, but a Californian, and I can hardly think of a more archtypical Cowboy than RR.

(In Texas we don't put people in prison for life for stealing $50 worth of videos although we do prosecute consenting adult faggots for fucking in the privacy of their own home.)

You've gotta have standards...

-- no Onan