Aschroft's evolution

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 26 08:38:42 PST 2002

[via nettime]

From: "Ivo Skoric" <ivo at reporters.net> To: nettime-l at bbs.thing.net Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:26:58 -0500

Please compare what you see at: http://www.arkzin.com/competitor/htmls/skoric1.html and http://usinfo.state.gov/journals/itgic/1097/ijge/gj-7.htm

So, Ashcroft in 1997, as a senator, during Clinton's administration was an outspoken opponent of FISA - he wrote:

" The FBI wants access to decode, digest, and discuss financial transactions, personal e-mail, and proprietary information sent abroad -- all in the name of national security. To accomplish this, President Clinton would like government agencies to have the keys for decoding all exported U.S. software and Internet communications.

This proposed policy raises obvious concerns about Americans' privacy, in addition to tampering with the competitive advantage that our U.S. software companies currently enjoy in the field of encryption technology. Not only would Big Brother be looming over the shoulders of international cyber-surfers,..."

Now, in 2002, as an attorney general in Bush administration, Aschcroft says this:

At a press conference Monday afternoon, Ashcroft applauded the ruling, characterizing it as a "victory for liberty, safety and the security of the American people."

Ashcroft said the ruling marks a new era of collaboration between police and intelligence agencies such as the CIA and the National Security Agency.

"This decision allows law enforcement officials to learn from intelligence officials, and vice versa, as a means of sort of allowing the information to flow from one community to another," Ashcroft said. "This will greatly enhance our ability to put pieces together that different agencies have. I believe this is a giant step forward."

ivo

--------------------------------------------------------- Ivo Skoric 19 Baxter Street Rutland VT 05701 802.775.7257 ivo at balkansnet.org balkansnet.org

# distributed via <nettime>: no commercial use without permission # <nettime> is a moderated mailing list for net criticism, # collaborative text filtering and cultural politics of the nets # more info: majordomo at bbs.thing.net and "info nettime-l" in the msg body # archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nettime at bbs.thing.net