A Pig Returns to the Farm, Thumbing His Snout at Orwell

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 27 04:15:04 PST 2002

Yoshie says to my words:

>>Mmmmm, I think that's reaching a bit too far. (Some of?) Snowball's
>>children would have made better figures of that sort. Snowball himself,
>>no.

>You can't expect a precise one-on-one correspondence between reality and
>fiction in a fable.

It doesn't have to be precise, just indicative. I grew up learning that Animal Farm was a thinly-veiled story about the origin of the Soviet Union. I'll grant you that other interpretations are possible, and I've yet to look into what Orwell had to say about the story, but a close correspondence between Trotsky (and probably those who shared his political sentiments) and Snowball is what I've learned.

>>Ehnn, I think that's reaching again. It's tossing ObL and his fascist
>>pals too big a bone. Makes them out as representatives of the entire ME
>>in its grievances against the US. I have little doubt there are ME states
>>who wouldn't have minded having ObL and his coterie either wiped out or
>>imprisoned as a bunch of fanatics or threats to stability.

>Most of the heads of Middle East states are now subordinate members of the
>supporters of the Empire. The growth of Islamism, both moderate and
>suicidal, is rooted in this phenomenon.

How much of the growth of Islamism is also rooted in not-necessarily-pro-American secularism and capitalism?

Todd

_________________________________________________________________ Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963