A Pig Returns to the Farm, Thumbing His Snout at Orwell

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Nov 27 05:01:39 PST 2002

At 7:15 AM -0500 11/27/02, Todd Archer wrote:
>>You can't expect a precise one-on-one correspondence between
>>reality and fiction in a fable.
>
>It doesn't have to be precise, just indicative. I grew up learning
>that Animal Farm was a thinly-veiled story about the origin of the
>Soviet Union. I'll grant you that other interpretations are
>possible, and I've yet to look into what Orwell had to say about the
>story, but a close correspondence between Trotsky (and probably
>those who shared his political sentiments) and Snowball is what I've
>learned.

Surely an author is free to change characters' symbolic significances (among other things) when he parodies another's work.

At 7:15 AM -0500 11/27/02, Todd Archer wrote:
>>Most of the heads of Middle East states are now subordinate members
>>of the supporters of the Empire. The growth of Islamism, both
>>moderate and suicidal, is rooted in this phenomenon.
>
>How much of the growth of Islamism is also rooted in
>not-necessarily-pro-American secularism and capitalism?

For that, you might look at the roots of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt. The prison memoir of Zaynab al-Ghazali -- the founder of the Muslim Women's Association who was imprisoned from 1965 to 1971 under Nasser for charges of collaboration with the Muslim Brotherhood -- may be an interesting read in this context. -- Yoshie