Once a Close Economic Rival of China, India Falls Behind

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Sat Nov 30 06:01:41 PST 2002

Michael Pugliese wrote:

> Ulhas, comments on either of these if you've read them. Orthodox
marxist, Bill Warren, "Imperialism:Pioneer
> of Capitalism, " Verso Books. Late Irish communist in BICO.

I haven't read Bill Warren's "Imperialism: Pioneer of Capitalism". (It is out print for some time now.) My impressions about Warren's are based on Aijaz Ahmad's essay Imperialism and Progress (included in Lineages of the Present). I would rather not comment on Bill Warren at this stage. But let me say that I don't find writers like Jim Blaut very convincing. I don't subscribe to the view that the "Third Word" capitalism is a moribund capitalism. Every third Malaysian owns a cell phone, while North Koreans have to fed by the US and Japan. But then this is red baiting !

Ulhas