Once a Close Economic Rival of China, India Falls Behind

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Nov 30 08:59:45 PST 2002

>Michael Pugliese wrote:
>
> >Ulhas, comments on either of these if you've read them. Orthodox
>marxist, Bill Warren, "Imperialism:Pioneer
>>of Capitalism, " Verso Books. Late Irish communist in BICO.
>
>I haven't read Bill Warren's "Imperialism: Pioneer of Capitalism". (It is
>out print for some time now.) My impressions about Warren's are based on
>Aijaz Ahmad's essay Imperialism and Progress (included in Lineages of the
>Present). I would rather not comment on Bill Warren at this stage. But let
>me say that I don't find writers like Jim Blaut very convincing. I don't
>subscribe to the view that the "Third Word" capitalism is a moribund
>capitalism. Every third Malaysian owns a cell phone, while North Koreans
>have to fed by the US and Japan. But then this is red baiting !
>
>Ulhas

Exactly what argument are you arguing against? I post one NYT article on China and India, and then you'll talk about Jim Blaut, cell phones in Malaysia, famine and malnutrition in North Korea, and red baiting, and the next we know, we'll be onto Aijaz Ahmad vs. Bill Warren, if their books are in print. Neither China surging ahead of India nor the other way around makes or breaks dependency theory or world systems theory or modernization theory or classical Marxist theory or any other take on capitalism in former colonies. You are making a mountain out of a molehill, so to speak. -- Yoshie