Samir Amin on Islam

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Nov 30 10:39:12 PST 2002

A difficult and important task. Leftists (be they secular or religious) in the USA learned to make extensive connections between themselves and reformists and revolutionaries in Latin America, learning Spanish, visiting and even working in Latin American nations, bringing speakers from Latin American nations to the USA, translating the work of Latin American intellectuals on the left, doing original research on many aspects of Latin American societies and cultures, sending caravans of goodwill supplies, dispatching delegations to investigate human rights violations, and so on, and so forth. This solidarity work has been continuing. The same extent of work has not been done with regard to the Middle East and Central Asia, with the exceptions of Iraq and Israel/Palestine (Cf., Voices in the Wilderness, the Christian Peacemaker Team, the International Solidarity Movement, etc.). -- Yoshie