Tabloids and Taliqueers

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 1 08:12:30 PDT 2002

Daniel Davies wrote:

>You realise that in the tabloid newspapers of The Greatest Newspaper Market
>On Earth, that would be like just a normal day's editorial comment? I
>swear, one day, someone is going to launch credible competition for Murdoch
>and he won't be able to price them out of business. Then he is going to
>give you guys a dose of real tabloid journalism and it will blow your
>minds. The difference between British tabloids and American tabloids is
>like the difference between crack cocaine and normal cocaine.

Yeah, I know we have to make due with a diluted product here. But all you need to do is compare the NY Post with the Daily News to get a taste of Murdoch's genius.

And now we have the Fox News Channel, too. It's politically vile - just last night, covering the Torricelli withdrawal, the only "expert" they interviewed was a lawyer for the Republican party. Not even a sympathetic lawyer, but someone actually drawing a paycheck from the party. And he flatly said that New Jersey law said the Dems couldn't come up with a replacement. Reading the (liberal) papers this morning, I learned that the law is more ambiguous than that. But not on FNC - it was an open and shut case. "We report, you decide," indeed. But it's still entertaining as hell. I'd rather watch FNC than CNN anyday.

Doug