workers of the world...relax

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Tue Oct 1 10:09:35 PDT 2002

At 12:58 AM 10/01/2002 -0400, Justin wrote:
> >2) Because we're all "individuals" and feel that this "individualism" is
> >threatened when we get together to fight for a common cause?
>
>No doubt, but this is a idealist explanation.

Why? The identification with individualism is given by the culture; understanding the limitations of that identification and having the imagination to see how it could be otherwise is not automatic. ...but mainly, I don't understand how this is "idealist."

> >3) Because mindless overwork is easier than facing the "void"?
> >

>Waxing Heideggerian, are we, Joanne? Is the void less empty in France and
>Germany?

Yeah, it is a bit. Europe is getting more and more "Americanized"...but again, there are cultural differences. The point of life in Europe is still to live; work is a means not an end. The U.S. is much more work-ethic-accomplishment-driven and also there's more of a social void...outside of work. Makes the void bigger.

>Have I told you that you are perfectly wonderful, brilliant, witty, and
>adorable, and probably beautiful too, though I have never seen you?

Don't tempt me now:) Haven't had a boyfriend in seven years. As for what I look like, ask Doug or Gordon Fitch.

Joanna