anti-imperialism

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Tue Oct 1 12:56:57 PDT 2002

To repeat, if this is how those who oppose the war get treated, it's no surprise that the fence-sitters increasingly loathe the abuse they receive from self-righteous lefties who don't want to even consider that people of good faith may have arguments on their side of the debate that need to be respected, if not agreed with. -- Nathan Newman

I'm all for devout anti-imperialists spreading the gospel.

The inescapable fact, however, is that this line will not win the debate. No way, no how. Winning means getting the lesser left and the center and neo-isolationists on the Right to buy an argument that is premised on why THIS war is a bad idea.

I would think that actually having an impact is what matters most. I read that public opinion is against invasion. I see the anti- side gaining on the pro- side (i.e., the Lugar/Hagel thang today). So there is some grounds for optimism.

Where I depart from the soft left line here -- not necessarily Nathan's -- is that there is some purpose in indulging one's obsessions with Chomsky et al.

max