Carrol's Poetry Corner

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Oct 1 13:16:04 PDT 2002

> The following poem is badly marred by the elements of conspiracy theory
> in it, but it still offers one of the best histories of the U.S. I've
> encountered, and it makes rather better use of catalogues than Whitman
> ever did. About 10 lines would never be missed and would cleanse the
> poem of the distraction of conspiricism.
>
> Carrol
>
> Somebody Blew Up America
>

> By Amiri Baraka
>

> They say its some terrorist,
> some barbaric
> A Rab,
> in Afghanistan
> It wasn't our American terrorists
> It wasn't the Klan or the Skin heads
> Or the them that blows up n-word
> Churches, or reincarnates us on Death Row
> It wasn't Trent Lott
> Or David Duke or Giuliani

Ah yes: Baraka nee Leroi Jones. So happy to see Carrol subscribe to his verse (and better than that white boy faggot Whitman too!). For those unfamiliar with Baraka's poetry and political views, here's a sampling:

When Baraka was denied tenure at Rutgers in 1990, he responded: "The power of these Ivy League Goebbels can flaunt, dismiss, intimidate and defraud the popular will. We must unmask these powerful Klansmen. These enemies of academic freedom, people's democracy and Pan American culture must not be allowed to prevail. Their intellectual presence makes a stink across the campus like the corpses of rotting Nazis."

"Ivy League Goebbels" -- just like those "little Eichmanns" Ward Churchill saw jumping from the Towers.

When Michael Schwerner and Andrew Goodman gave their lives to the Civil Rights struggle alongside James Chaney in Philadelphia, Mississippi, Baraka (then Jones) lovingly observed that "those white boys were only seeking to assuage their own leaking consciences." But then Baraka had Whitey pinned. "A woman asked me in all earnestness, couldn't any whites help? I said, 'You can help by dying. You are a cancer. You can help the world's people with your death.'"

Here's Baraka from "Black Art," 1969:

"Poems are bullshit unless they are teeth or trees or lemons piled on a step. Or black ladies dying of men leaving nickel hearts beating them down. Fuck poems and they are useful, wd they shoot come at you, love what you are, breathe like wrestlers, or shudder strangely after pissing. We want live words of the hip world live flesh %amp% coursing blood. Heart Brains Souls splintering fire. We want poems like fists beating n-words out of Jocks or dagger poems in the slimy bellies of the owner-jews. Black poems to smear on girdlemamma mulatto bitches whose brains are red jelly stuck between 'lizabeth taylor's toes. Stinking Whores! We want "poems that kill." Assassin poems, Poems that shoot guns. Poems that wrestle cops into alleys and take their weapons leaving them dead with tongues pulled out and sent to Ireland...."

And here's Baraka's "Civil Rights Poem":

"Roywilkins is an eternal faggot His spirit is a faggot his projection and image, this is to say, that if i ever see roywilkins on the sidewalks imonna stick half my sandal up his ass."

And this from "For Tom Postell, Dead Black Poet":

"Smile, jew. Dance, jew. Tell me you love me, jew. I got something for you now though. I got something for you, like you dig, I got. I got this thing, goes pulsating through black everything universal meaning. I got the extermination blues, jewboys. I got the hitler syndrome figured."

Owner Jews. Mulatto bitches. Roy Wilkins as eternal faggot who needs his ass kicked. Jewboys. Hitler syndrome. Yep, Carrol, "Specimen Days" can't hold a candle to this.

DP