Chickenhawks ...

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Oct 3 15:13:09 PDT 2002

> > This "chickenhawk" critique is ridiculous and hypocritical, esp when
>> coming from the left (and esp from those who've never worn the
>> uniform themselves). What -- do you wish that W., Lott, Quayle, et al.,
>> had volunteered to kill Vietnamese? If they had, would you respect
>> them more when they called for war on Iraq? Bush senior is a combat
>> vet, and I don't recall anyone who opposed the first Gulf War saying
>> that, well, at least he served.
>>
>> There's plenty to critique in the current war cycle without going
>> this simplistic route.
>
>Yep, and as an argument it's fallacious. To be a nerd, it's an ad
>hominem (circumstantial, specifically tu quoque): attacking an arguer for
>inconsistency between their stance and their actions or other beliefs.
>
>-- Shane

Is it necessary to point out that the video is meant to be entertaining propaganda, not a study in logic? :->

BTW, some LBO-talkers have said that they enjoy watching O'Reilly, celebrated for his conscientious eschewal of all logical fallacies. He's included in the Chickenhawk database as well: <http://www.nhgazette.com/chickenhawks.html>. -- Yoshie