church against war

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Thu Oct 3 16:32:52 PDT 2002

At 07:02 PM 10/03/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Am I imagining things, or is most of the real opposition to this war coming
>from religious groups? At least there seems to be more than at any other
>time that I can remember.

...well, where I work there's a born-again xtian programmer who is relatively sane. He's the sort who lives the gospel....has adopted five children from Ethiopia and seems to be doing a good job bringing them up, etc.

Anyway, a couple of days after 9/11 we went for a walk around the lake that fronts our office. I asked him what he had told the children about the attack, and he said something about "he who lives by the sword dies by the sword" and then mentioned that he did not think U.S. policy re. Israel was right; that we were supporting a regime that violated the rights of the native Palestinians.

So there you go. No flag waving; no hysteria. He is currently opposed to the war in Iraq or any US adventurism/aggression anywhere.

Joanna