lbo-talk-digest V1 #6787

Daniel Davies dsquared at al-islam.com
Fri Oct 4 00:27:33 PDT 2002

>Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 12:50:26 -0400
>From: Dennis Perrin
>Subject: Re: Chickenhawks - Hall of Shame (flash video)

>> [...A chickenhawk is a term often applied to public >>persons -
>> generally male - who (1) tend to advocate, or are >>fervent supporters
>> of those who advocate, military solutions to political >>problems, and
>> who have personally (2) declined to take advantage of a >>significant
>> opportunity to serve in uniform during wartime....
>>
>> ]

>This "chickenhawk" critique is ridiculous and >hypocritical, esp when
coming
>from the left (and esp from those who've never worn the >uniform
themselves).
>What -- do you wish that W., Lott, Quayle, et al., had >volunteered to
kill
>Vietnamese?

Hang on ... how do you manage to watch Fox News if you're going to insist on this standard of scrupulous fairness in terminology and disdain for invective? I would guess that you would have to write like two or three dozen strongly worded letters of complaint every day if you were going to hold everyone to that sort of standard. Or indeed, if you were going to apply this standard to anyone except people on mailing lists who you don't like.

dd