_The Game of Their Lives_ (Dir. Dan Gordon)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Oct 4 00:37:55 PDT 2002

_The Game of Their Lives_ (Dir. Dan Gordon), <http://www.thegameoftheirlives.com/index_2.htm>

_The Game of Thier Lives_ World Premiere at the Sheffield International Documentary Festival, <http://www.sidf.co.uk/programme/2002/films/game_of_their_lives.php>

The Game Of Their Lives dir: Daniel Gordon UK 2002 80 mins colour/b&w Beta

In the 1966 World Cup, the North Korean football team shocked the world by knocking out Italy. They then disappeared into oblivion. After four years of negotiations, director Daniel Gordon secured access to North Korea to recount 'the greatest football story never told'. Using a combination of absorbing archival footage, inter-cut with beautifully shot images of modern day North Korea, Gordon recounts the unlikely love affair that developed between the North Koreans and their host city Middlesbrough. 'It still remains a riddle to me - the people of Middlesbrough supported us all the way through. I still don't know the reason why,' recalls one of the North Korean players interviewed by Gordon. Full of intriguing details, and never short on pace, The Game of Their Lives is a fascinating insight into the motivations and workings of one of the world's most secret countries. And a great football story.

Daniel Gordon has been invited to the festival.

Schedule 7pm Mon 21 October 9.45pm Mon 21 October 7pm Sun 27 October

About the director DANIEL GORDON (b.Sheffield, UK, 1972)

Contact VeryMuchSo Productions tel/fax +44 114 268 7606 email dan at verymuchso.co.uk www.thegameoftheirlives.com

***** Letter From Beijing; Korea boys of '66 are alive and kicking Calum MacLeod

11/12/2001 The Independent - London (Copyright 2001 Independent Newspapers (UK) Limited)

"THE FALL of the Roman Empire had nothing on this," shouted the Northern Echo, and it was hard to disagree. Italy, the world's richest, most illustrious team, faced the no-hopers of North Korea - "so little-known they might be flying in from outer space," said a BBC announcer. But on 19 July 1966, the team from the wrong side of the 38th Parallel dumped Italy out of the World Cup, and into a hail of rotten tomatoes at Genoa airport.

Meanwhile, the 1-0 victors at Ayresome Park basked in the warm and genuine welcome Middlesbrough accorded its unusual Asian guests. Temporarily free of restrictions and privations, the North Koreans reputedly celebrated with wine, women and song. Some 3,000 Middlesbrough fans then followed them across England to Goodison Park for the quarter-final with Portugal.

It was a classic game of two halves. In the first, Korea raced 3-0 ahead, before man of the tournament Eusebio grabbed two back. In the second, he scored two more as Portugal won 5-3. Yet the Koreans returned to their country of two halves with heads held high. They enjoyed a hero's welcome, then disappeared, seemingly forever....

Daniel Gordon, Director for VeryMuchSo Productions, and Nick Bonner, a Beijing-based Korea expert, were sitting in Pak's Pyongyang home at the end of a four-year search. The two-storey apartment, gifted by a grateful government, was strewn with pots of kimchi, Korea's beloved pickled cabbage, and assorted football memorabilia. Pak's son, now a football coach, also played for his country, managed for a period by his father, while Pak's grandson shows promise on his school team.

Filming the documentary "The Game of their Lives", Gordon and Bonner were heartened to find seven surviving members of the 11-man team behind the greatest shock in World Cup history. To win the quarter-final, the Portuguese were promised pounds 500 a man. The Koreans were promised another sports medal, of the type weighing down the magnificent seven as they recently clanked around for the cameras, in full military uniform, on the pitch of Pyongyang's vast Kim Il Sung stadium. But their most profound memories concern their reception in north-east England. "Before we arrived in Britain, we were not sure how the people of England would treat us," centre-half Rim Jung Son told Gordon. "We thought we would be shunned," Rim admitted, for the Korean War was only 13 years cold. "But the mayor of Middlesbrough and all the people went out of their way to make us feel at home. I still cannot understand why they did it, but I am glad they did."

All seven enquired after the health of the good mayor, only to learn they had outlived their host. His working-man's town had responded with fervour to the plucky outsiders.

Moreover, they played with a speed that resembles today's game. "The Great Leader had told them to play Chollima football," inspired by Korea's legendary Chollima horse, says Gordon. "So they played to their strengths, they were small and quick, and there was no point booting the ball as England did."

Pak Sung Jin, also 59, coaches one of Pyongyang's First Division sides. In 1966, his spectacular volley earned Korea a last-gasp equaliser against Chile, and the crucial point that set them up for Italy. South Korean newspapers claim Pak spent years incarcerated at Yodok internment camp, living off the insects he could catch, but he denies suffering any direct fall-out from his English sojourn.

The names of Pak Sung Jin, Pak Do Ik and their team-mates, all of whom are still involved with football, are revered nationwide as the Peles of the Pensinsula, although their faces, from Korea's pre-television age, are less well known. They showed their undimmed passion, and gratitude to their masters, with a rendition of their World Cup song, before they saw off the English film-makers at Pyongyang railway station.

When the World Cup visits South Korea and Japan next year, the Asian benchmark still remains that set by this class of '66, the first Asian team to qualify. "We have some great players in the north and south," a North Korean border guard ruefully remarked to Gordon beside the 38th Parallel. "If we could play together, what a strong team we would have!"

<http://www.thegameoftheirlives.com/independent.htm> *****

-- Yoshie